Tools to help the Revolutions Part II - Online resistance cell organisation
Oh Hai Aktivists and Protesters, we'd like to give you another collection of useful stuff - This time its about how to get an resistance cell going, with online support.
Let us give you a short introduction how we've come to this strategy:
In May 2008 the fight against the international very influencial Cult of Scientology was on one of its hights. The International Anonymous hubs at the time, like the now gone site enturbulation and the IRC networks, were under constant DDoS attack and more or less offline. Our Videos were faster deleted from youtube and the file hosters than we could upload them. Triggered by the well paid lawyers of the cult.
Communication to the other Anonymous was disrupted.
But we needed a strategy to keep our resources, videos, pictures, and most important our protest and resistance organisation online.
There is one very successful strategy to counteract a situation like this: decentralisation.
Split up in autonomously acting local cells that keep in touch through thier decentralized networks.
And that was the birth of the Hamburg Anonymous cell.
You can do, too. It does not matter if you 're fighting a cult, or worse, an oppressive government.
- you can continue the fight as a team even if cut of from all the other protesters/activists
- a lot of small, local resistance coordination sites can't be taken offline/blocked/DDos'd as easy as one centralized site
- tracking all the small cells is much harder than facebook
- Local organisation only needs a local focus
- if you lose your twitter account/email/youtube channel/facebook profile due to license or ToS trolling or blocking you're still in touch with your cell
- you can gather resources there, videos pics, voicefiles, flyers and reupload it from there if you lose resources to deletion or block
- local networks make it harder to stalk you, or gather personal information to identifiy you
Here is how.
1. Set it all Up - You need a place on the web
You can choose between two options, the fast and easy way, which has some flaws, or the hard way.
a) the fast and easy way:
get your own social network at:
It is free and they have the basic equippment you need.
- Video sharing
- photo galleries
- message boards
And if you're DDoS'd it isn't your problem wall.fm must fix it. On the other hand they have propably a server farm that won't even slow down a bit.
But remember, although you have a ready made decentralized network, these dudes have ToS. And if you're uploading extremely violent content that happens during these times, or other ToS violating stuff they might close you down.
Think about that, when you choose to set up your network the easy way.
b) Now the hard way:
Setting up a forum or social network with free software from scratch:
what you need:
- mysql or postgres db access
- free content management system or forum software
Getting a domain
you can get free domains here:
You just need to point your domain to your webspace, and you're good to go.
Remember not to give your real personal data when registering, so it can't be traced back to you.
And use a proxy, tor or the VPN connections we mentioned in Part I
Use your google fuu to find free webspace with Mysql support,
something like this:
or this :
You can also decide to buy webspace, but DO NOT use webspace in the US, Germany, France or Spain due to the restrictive copyright.
It can, and will be used against you.
Go for Russia, Panama, Malysia, India or Indonesia.
Getting and installing your site software
We recommend wordpress with the buddypress addon if you want a whole social network
- it is well tested and developed
- it is easy to install and has a very good plugin system
- it is a really good all in one carefree package
- 5 min Wordpress installation: http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress#Famous_5-Minute_Install
- buddypress addon installation:
If you want a forum with Anonymous posting possible (to protect the cell members identity) we recommend going for myBB.
Download mybb here:
- because it is easy to manage
- it has a gazillion of useful plugins and themes
- its easy enough that you can add custom code without beeing rocket scientist
- Anonymous posting is easy implemented
1.login to your webspace backend
2. find the database menu/settings
3. Create a database on your webspace control panel, and note Host, Database name, database user and password.
4. follow the installation instructions: http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Installing
5. get a theme: http://mods.mybb.com/themes or http://www.awesomestyles.com/mybb-themes
6. implement anonymous posting: http://community.mybb.com/thread-81207.html
7. add anonym.to referrer to all links: http://community.mybb.com/archive/index.php/thread-77366.html
8. get the overview plugin for latest threads and posts: http://mods.mybb.com/view/overview-mybb-1-6
- Have a look here:
Here is our myBB forum, you are invited to use it if you need a forum to coordinate, or if you have questions.
2. Finishing touches
- If you link to sites of the enemy, you don't want them to know from where you clicked the link. Taht might guide them directly to your site.
so use the anonym.to redirect service to leave no traces.
You will need quick communications.
Anonymous uses the old IRC, it has proven to be very useful.
Anonymous provides two major IRC networks:
Anonnet and Anonops
Anonnet offers highly distributed, secure anonymous IRC network with IP cloaking, anope services and ssl on port 6697 & 7999.
SSL port: 6697
our channel is #Hamburg there, but you are free to create your cell channel tere
Anonops is not quite as reliable than Aonnet, but they are engaged in potentially risky operations. If you don't know how to Internet think twice.
our channel is #Hamburg
You can embedd tis directly on your site though the Mibbit webchat widget:
That should give you all you need to build your online resistance cell communication center.